Michael (“Mike”) H. Atnipp
Attorney at Law
214 W. Texas Ave., Suite 100
Midland, TX 79701
Phone: (432) 683-8510
Fax: (432) 687-3922
Oil and Gas Law
J.D. University of Houston, 1977
M.B.A. Texas Tech University, 1973
B.A. Texas Tech University, 1972
Professional and Legal Experience
Mike Atnipp has been in private practice in both a partnership and as a sole practitioner since 1987. Prior to that time, in addition to being in private practice in Houston and Midland, Texas, he served as general counsel and an officer of a privately held oil and gas company, involved in acquisitions, operations, and exploration. His experience includes:
- Coordination and conducting due diligence in acquisition and divestiture transactions involving producing and non producing properties.
- Title examination and the rendering of opinions for drilling, lease acquisitions, division order payments, and financing.
- Negotiating settlements involving royalty and leasehold ownership, subsurface trespasses.
- Establishing policies and procedures for division order departments.
- Documenting all types of oil, gas, and energy transactions.
- Representation of publicly traded large independent producers in connection with acquisitions of interests.
- Documenting the formation of units.
- Formation of joint ventures to acquire, explore, and develop producing properties.
- Prepare and negotiate various forms of operating agreements.
- Representation of both Lessors and Lessees in negotiating the terms of oil and gas leases and surface use agreements.
Publications and Speeches
Mr. Atnipp is one of the original authors of Kanes Manual of Oil and Gas Forms (1989, 1991). He is the author and editor of the forms in all the Legacy Energy Forms Packages (formerly the Kanes Forms Packages).
Mr. Atnipp has made presentations involving oil and gas issues and topics to conferences, seminars, and conventions for The National Association of Division Order Analysts, the National Association of Royalty Owners, the Permian Basin and San Antonio Landman Associations, the Permian Basin and Houston Associations of Division Order Analysts, and the State Bar of Texas seminars.
Bar and Professional Associations
Mr. Atnipp is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the American Association of Professional Landmen, and the Permian Basin Landman Association.